dimanche 27 mars 2011

Editions de Minuit contre Grodoudou



Mike Rosenthal, un étudiant crée un jeu vidéo gratuit intitulé Waiting For Godot mais les Editions de Minuit, qui possèdent les droits de Samuel Becket, n'apprécient pas :

Rosenthal: To quote one of the several cease and desist letters I received from the French lawyers representing the Beckett estate, “Unfortunately we do not share your sense of humor.” They asked me to change the name “Waiting for Godot,” because they held the rights to it. Under American law, my game is considered parody and is protected under fair use, but I complied since I’m just a college kid who can’t really afford a lawyer. So I changed the name to “Samuel Becketttt’s Lawyers Present: Waiting for Grodoudou.” I even explicitly stated on my website that my game is now referring to the Australian Samuel Becketttt, not to be confused with the Irish Samuel Beckett. They didn’t appreciate that. So now it’s just called “Game.” Personally, I find it ironic that a publishing house established to surreptitiously print works censored by occupying Germans wants so strongly to censor my game. But I think they would just get mad at me again if I brought this up. We’re on good terms now, and I wouldn’t want to damage our friendship. Needless to say, I’m expected Christmas cards.

2 commentaires:

VS a dit…

Ça me rappelle "Le guide intergalactique": le conneau de PDG du guide du routard a refusé que cela s'appelle "le guide du routard intergalactique".

N'empêche, qui sont les ayant droits de Beckett?

Phersv a dit…

Jérôme Lindon était l'exécuteur testamentaire et depuis sa mort en 2001, c'est sa fille Irène Lindon qui détient tous les droits. Elle a pu faire interdire certaines représentations qui modifiaient le texte de Beckett. Mais il y a aussi Edward Beckett, son neveu, pour les versions anglaises.